20 January 2012

Revisiting Nursing In Reverse

Awhile back I wrote a blog about being a 24/7 Milk Bar.

Jaron was a BIG reverse cycler. I even wrote a pretty thorough guest article about reverse cycling and false weaning for Ask The Lactation Consultant while we were in the middle of everything.

Now that he's nearly 15 months old and starting to wean in general the reverse cycling has pretty much stopped. But I'm so glad I didn't rush it. He nurses at bedtime and usually sleeps about 9 hours before he's ready to nurse again, then sleeps another 3, then he'll nurse a time or two or three at different points during the day depending on if we're out or at home.

Three months ago, he nurse ALL. NIGHT. LONG. and rarely during the day. We did it! He did finally stop the all night nursing and I didn't have to force him. It can be done!

Share your thoughts and come join me on Google+, Facebook, and/or Twitter!

7 comments:

  1. So you didn't do anything during the day or night to "fix" the reverse cycling?  My 6 mo old just started this and I will admit I was very frustrated the first few nights.  I've been given all sorts of "helpful" advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You give me hope that this will end for us soon. My 11 month old is nursing all night long right now...or at least that's what it feels like. I'm hoping that it will pass on its own because I've already tried everything I know to try to stop it. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of going with the flow. I find that kids eventually grow out of everything. Things change. Things always just seemed to go through a 2 week ebb and flow. I keep trying to remember that when they are 18 and going off to college, I'll wish I could stay up all night with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're getting some sleep Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son never reverse cycled, but always has gotten up a couple times at night to nurse. I never tried to force him to sleep through the night in any way. I knew he would when he was ready, and he finally did at 19 months! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I just let him do what he needed and it eventually went back to normal, it took several months, but with the co-sleeping it was easier than trying to "fix" it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, this won't last forever!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...