12 April 2012

Authentic Mexican ~ Elotes

One of the many things I miss from the years I spent is Mexico is the food. I have yet to find truly authentic central Mexican cuisine in the states. I have experimented with a few recipes, but the only one that turns out perfect every time is elote.

Translated, "elote" simply means corn on the cob, but it is so much more than that! Most often you can find them on the street or in any town square in the evenings.

I have introduced elote to several of my American friends and while all have been highly skeptical at first, not one of them can deny it's amazing yumminess and addictiveness once they have tasted it.

Last week Jake and I had our first elotes of the season and I can't wait to make them again.

Elotes
And everything is better with Mexican Coke!
Ingredients
~ Fresh, raw ears of corn on the cob
~ Mayonnaise
~ Dry Cheese  (such as Parmesan or a Parmesan/Ramono/Asiago Blend)
~ Pepper Mixture (this part of the recipe is from Food.com, I was fortunate enough to have a large amount of pica made for me by a Mexican vendor, so we just use that)
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  •      1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  •      1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  •      1/8 teaspoon salt

  • Preparation
    Grill or Roast Corn (on cob, in husk) until tender (about 12 minutes on the grill, 25 in the oven)

    Pull husk back to make a handle.

    Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise all over the corn

    Roll  or sprinkle on cheese

    Sprinkle pepper mixture over everything.

    ENJOY!  

    I'm planning on sharing some more of my favorite recipes every week so follow us on Google+Facebook, and Twitter so you don't miss out!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...