27 June 2011

Moneyless Monday ~ Facial Cleanser and Spa Treatment

Something no one ever told me about breastfeeding was that your hormones are in constant upheaval. When baby misses a feeding or drops one altogether, or goes through a growth spurt, or in any way or form changes up his "normal" pattern, hormones respond. They don't just signal your milk supply, but affect your entire body.
For the past month, my skin has been worse than a pre-teen's. Acne all over the place, one day it's dry, the next day it's so oily I could fill a fryer. It doesn't help that as a mom to two active and mischievous boys I don't often have the time to take care of myself or my skin the way I would like to. I'm also incredibly...ummm, thrifty!... when it comes to skin products. I have a hard time finding something that actually works on my skin and I refuse to pay money for something that I'm not sure of. You see the predicament that I put myself in?

Well, my skin finally got so bad that I decided that even if I had to miss 20 minutes of sleep by staying up and taking care of myself, that's what I was going to start doing. Coincidentally enough, the day after I decided to do this a fellow blogger posted about how she was smitten with baking soda. It seemed interesting enough that I decided to try it out. Plus, it was right within my budget by being right on my laundry room shelf. For the past 5 days, I've used about a teaspoon of baking soda as a facial cleanser. I wet my face and hands pour it from the box into the palm of my hand, rub my hands together and then scrub it into my face. It's worked great! I hasn't done miracles, but the acne is slowly clearing up and it makes my skin feel very fresh and clean. I was very surprised by the consistency at first, I don't know what I was expecting, but it's very gritty! Definitely a natural exfoliator! The first time I used it my face felt a little dry, but nothing that a tiny amount of olive or avocado oil massaged in couldn't fix.
Then yesterday I read this post about the benefits of honey and that #1 & #12 are uses as skin and acne treatments. 1 Tbsp of honey with 1 tsp of brown sugar massaged into the skin and then washed off with warm water. SPA TREATMENT! This was amazing, ok, it was amazing after I rinsed it off and saw/felt my face. The sticky honey and grainy sugar crystals were an interesting combination to "massage" anywhere. Rinsing it off took a couple/three tries as well. But ohhhhhhhh my face feels great! I'm almost out of honey, but once I buy a new jar I'm so going to use this as a full body sugar scrub!


P.S. I'm sorry about the weird orientation of the pics, Blogger is not cooperating and is refusing to rotate them for me.
Follow me on Facebook or Twitter so you don't miss out on any of the Milk Bubbles that just might make your day that much more special!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...