01 August 2011

Nursing Styles

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

From before I even was pregnant with Jaron, everyone told me that my children were going to be as different from each other as night and day. Siblings always are. Well, I wouldn't say that the boys are that different, but neither are they the same by any stretch of the imagination!

Especially when it came to nursing. All difficulties aside, they couldn't be more different. And even with everything I'd been told to expect, that wasn't mentioned.

Aedyn was my little Dyson vacuum. He had a strong suck reflex from the moment he was born. He'd latch onto anything! Face, shoulder, finger, toys, if anything came within 3 inches of his face he'd be trying to suck on it. He'd  eat, and comfort nurse, comfort nurse and eat. I could feed him anytime, anywhere. If I was leaving to run to the grocery store, I could feed him and he'd be good for at least 3 hours, even if he had only nursed 20 minutes before, he'd always be ready for more. I thought he would never wean and was fully prepared to tandem nurse for awhile. But, when I got pregnant, he just quit. I wasn't thrilled, but it was his decision, so I didn't force the issue.

Jaron, on the other hand, will not do anything before he is ready. If he nursed 20 minutes ago, you can be sure that he won't nurse again until he's ready, and that could be anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. Try and guess when he'll be hungry and you'll be wrong nearly every time. And goodness knows, if you try and delay a session...the whole world will know. At first I thought he wasn't as attached as Aedyn was because he didn't snap up every chance that he was offered. Now I wonder if he might be more so, maybe it's only a phase, or maybe not. We've still got awhile to see how it plays out.

With 2 more planned for sometime in the future I can't help but wonder how each of them will differ from their brothers!

Have you noticed any major differences between your nurslings? Are there any things that you hope future little ones do differently, or that you hope is a family trait?

Share your thoughts and come join me on Google+, Facebook, and/or Twitter!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...