09 March 2012

DIY Chalkboard Label Canisters


I haven't been able to find any canisters I like for my kitchen counter. I wanted something that was neutral, but fun, and could be used for something else if I change my style down the road. I also wanted something inexpensive.

In case you haven't noticed, I don't like paying retail or even sale prices. I want quality stuff at garage sale prices.

After a lot of looking I finally decided that I wasn't going to find what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. So I decided to make my own.

Supplies
Glass jars - I picked up 2 large and 1 medium cracker jars from Walmart - total cost for all three = $14
Chalkboard spray paint - $4
Painter's tape
Plastic bags
Paper or tarp to protect your work surface

Step 1 - Cover your work surface and tape off the borders of where you want your label. Use the back half of the tape to seal the plastic bag around the rest of the jar.

Step 2 - Shake can of spray paint for what seems like forever, then spray a thin, even coat of paint over your label area.

Step 3 - Wait. Wait. Wait. Til it's dry

Step 4 - Spray a second coat of paint.

Step 5 - Wait until the paint is completely dry, an hour or so and gently remove the tape and plastic.

Your jars are now ready to use, however, wait 24 hours before using chalk on your labels. This allows the paint to cure and harden.

Repeat on anything you can get your hands on! I've picked up another glass jar that I'll make into a cookie jar. Gotta love it when things match!


If you want to hear more about my 2 (not always) sleeping babies and the rest of the family you can follow us on Google+Facebook, and Twitter!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...