26 May 2011

Starting to Find the Groove ~ Flats & Handwashing Challenge Day 4

On average it takes 3 days for the brain to adapt to a perceptual change. No, I didn't get that from the last season of Bones. Any psych major worth their salt should remember George Stratton's experiments with upside down glasses. Your brain adapts to the environment and normalizes what you experience.

Well, today is Day 4 of the Flats & Handwashing Challenge. It's been a full 3 days and 3 nights. Has my brain adapted? Yes and no. I'm getting into a routine, I'm pretty satisfied with how things are working out, both diapering and washing. Am I enjoying it? Nope, but I making it. Am I still off balance trying to juggle my regular chores, taking care of the kids, being sick, reworking my blog, trying to finish up my website(or at least work on it some more), network, and still handwash my diapers and try to have them dry by the time they're needed? Yup, not a bit of balance here. Dishes have piled up and I sit between a mountain of dirty laundry that needs to be washed and a mountain of clean laundry that needs to be folded. Oh well...moving on.

Handwashing has evolved into prewashing poopy diapers as they happen, a hot wash with slotted spatula agitation, then a thorough rinsing directly under the faucet. I feel like an idiot since it took me 3 days to think of it, but skirt/pant hangers! Clip the diapers on, hang on the shower curtain bar and voila! The best drying time so far, still a bit damp this morning, so I flipped on the heat lamp and fan. And 30 hours after washing, the terry cloth towel is FINALLY dry.


So far I've reviewed a flannel bedsheet diaper, an intact t-shirt, and a terry cloth bath towel. Today I present to you the 500 thread count Egyptian Cotton Sateen Damask Stripe in Purple bedsheet diaper. This was a twin size sheet that I absolutely love. But as I don't intend on sleeping in a twin bed again and the boys would rather have red and orange sheets than purple, I sacrificed. The rest of the sheet set will be cut down and sewn into cloth napkins.

These were soaked in Downey wash upon wash, year after year. They are incredibly soft due to the weave, type of cotton, and thread count.They're very easy to put a pin through; these 2 diapers are my second favorite, my first being the flannel sheet diapers. I had two big fears with using this as a diaper:

1) It wouldn't absorb.
2) It would fray around the edges if I looked at it wrong.

Neither has been an issue. It's not amazingly absorbent, but it does hold quite a bit of liquid. The edges did fray slightly, but really only enough to give them a vintage or well-loved look. If I were going to use them overnight I'd add a folded tube sock as a doubler. <<<< NEW TIP 


500 threads per square inch
of luxurious cotton.
The only downside to these is that they are so soft and silky that they won't hold a fold. What is secured at the front with the pin is fine, but my folds at the legs are always falling out. Wouldn't be a huge deal except Jaron is so comfortable and relaxed in these luxurious diapers that he's pooped in them every single time they've been on him. As I forgot to up his iron intake before the challenge started so we've had a big problem with these diapers ability to contain his not so solid poops.

Coverwise, they work great under the poncho covers. I haven't used them overnight yet (when I use my fleece scarf covers), but I think the wrap of the fleece might solve our containment issues.

A huge THANK YOU to all my new followers (and the ones who've been here since the beginning!) I'd love to here some feedback from ya'll, on the Flats Challenge and the blog in general! Opinions and suggestions always welcome!

If you haven't followed yet, what's stopping you? Find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google FC!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...