15 February 2012

The History of My Valentine & Me ~ Part 1

Jake and I have a lot of history. I've alluded to it in this post and this post, but in honor of Valentine's Day I thought I'd share our story.

Jake and I met when I was 15 years old. I had just rescued a baby duck from outside the ballet studio and he had been talked into joining the ballet company by another dancer that he was more than a little interested in. He asked to see the duckling and I watched him like a hawk until he handed her back.

I saw him a lot after that, multiple rehearsals a week for weeks on end. Things ended up not working out between him and the girl he was trying to date and on my 16th birthday he started flirting with me. I should probably mention that he is 5 years older than me. So my parents would not even consider letting me go out alone with him and I was not the rebellious type. So not a whole lot happened that year.

I take that back, I'm not sure who, but someone from the ballet studio fed my dad some lies and my parents reacted by banning me from being around him in any form except what we had to do for the the dance rehearsals. By the time they found out the truth it was 6 months later and they agreed to let him take my to my prom.


For the next 18 months, we flirted, he ignored me, we flirted, he ignored me, I went to college, I came home, I turned 18 and he kissed me for the first time. My dad apparently talked to him at some point and told him not to do anything to keep me from going to school.

He told me that he didn't want a long distance relationship. We stayed friends, kind of.

I stalked his MySpace and messaged or called him occasionally. If he wasn't dating someone I got a warm, friendly response. If he was, well, it wasn't so warm.

I dated someone else, got engaged, broke it off. Rebounded into Jake, who was also rebounding. We went on a date, he kissed me, then told me he still didn't want a long distance relationship.

Another 18 months passed and he took me to dinner for my 21st birthday. We went back to his place to watch a movie. He leaned in to kiss me, but this time I stopped him and asked him if he was going to apologize and say he didn't want a long distance relationship again. He got flustered and started spouting of excuses and holier than thou type stuff.

Somewhere in all of that as he drove me home he told me that he could never really love me like I deserved and he'd never marry me and freed me from any commitment I felt like I had to him. Great birthday present!

So that's the first part of our story, check back on Thursday for Part 2!!!

Share your own Valentine's Stories and come join me on Google+, Facebook, and/or Twitter!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...